Friday, November 26, 2010

Just Like Daddy

I've said before how much my son Simon is like me. Some days it's like looking in a mirror at myself. It shows up in many areas (except for the whole liking vegetables issue...). For example, at school they have "show and tell" days where the kids bring something from home that they want to show the rest of the class. For the last two times guess what he's brought in to show - Superman toys! Yah, dats my boy! I haven't been coaching him to like things like that either. For a while I was worried with him having a couple of older sisters. I would go downstairs and they'd all be playing dress up and there was my 'y' chromosome wearing a dress with high heels and matching pearls. Sigh... But now he likes to play with trains and trucks and cool toys like action figures. He's like obsessed with Astroboy! I love it! But even though I haven't been purposely pumping him full of my desire for him to like these kinds of things, it has rubbed off from him just being around me. And God has just made things to be that way. When your Dad likes to watch the Ninja Turtles so do you. When Dad picks up a toy sword at the Dollarama and holds it over his head shouting "By the power of Grayskull!" well, little eyes are watching and want to imitate. Hopefully Simon won't be as warped as I am (no Star Trek pun intended but it did fit nice), but it certainly makes you realize how much your kids look to you for guidance when they are growing up. I hope my kids look to their Dad for other things too though. I hope I am a good example of how to love God and love other people (even when I fail repeatedly behind the steering wheel).  Be a good parent folks and use every day to teach your kids about life and what's important (and not so important).  There's no better or greater job and trust me, those little rugrats grow up fast!

No comments: